Saturday, June 4, 2011

On Celebrating Birth in Days: A Letter to My Unborn Child


Dear "Baby Campbell,"

As my thirty-second year of life begins, so will your first. Pretty soon you will be in my arms with the name Addison Rose or James Dominick and I simply cannot wait. Already, I feel as if I know you: the certain thumps around mealtime that are really hiccups, when you're waking up and stretching your little limbs to re-position, and the pushing sensation I feel from your little back against the wall of my belly when I massage it with lotion. I already know you like that!

During your time in my womb, I have experienced an overall pleasant pregnancy with only some nausea at the beginning and the standard weight gain, which is great for the both of us. Daddy and I have prepared your nursery way back in January and have been anticipating your arrival ever since. I've also been reading books and have been trying to tap into my teaching experience in order to get ready for parenthood, but honestly, none of that will teach me as much as you will. YOU will show me the way - what you like, dislike, and everything in between.

There are, however, a few things I wanted to share with you that no book or class could teach. Things that you should know and remember when navigating through this amazing yet complex world:

Always follow your dreams. No matter how big or small you may think they are, your dreams are important. Whether you want to study fossils or put out fires like Daddy, follow what your inner voice tells you. We will always have your back. But know that success is earned. If you put nothing in, expect nothing in return, so make sure to put in 100% effort. When I was a third grader, I wrote a diary entry that I later found as an adult. It said, "I can't wait to grow up and become an author and a teacher." Well, guess what? Through studying, attending college, and taking chances, I've done both and I couldn't be happier! I didn't know a soul who could navigate the way for me, nor did I expect someone to, so I paved the way myself.

Always have confidence in your abilities. Life is going to throw stones, curveballs, and maybe some trash onto your path as you grow up, but know that all of those things appear there to test your will, your strength. All of it is temporary. If you use your brain and problem solving skills, and keep your chin up and remember how smart and loved you are, nothing will stand in your way.

Appreciate the simple things. Material objects are cool (cars, clothes, money), but nothing beats the soft floppy ears of a dog (by the way- you have a dog and a cat!), the smell of freshly cut grass, or a blue sky on a cloudless day. Be grateful for all of these things as they are just as important and unique as you are. If you take care of nature, she will take care of you too.

Choose carefully. You will be asked to do or try things that you may have never considered before. Whatever they are, always think it through beforehand. Weigh your options, analyze the pros and cons of the situation. It's your life, but know we are here to help you come to smart conclusions and steer you in the right direction.

It's all right to make mistakes. All humans have since the beginning of time and will continue to do so to infinity and beyond. If someone tells you otherwise, they're lying. Every person has a flaw despite what they want you to believe.

And lastly, whether you are a girl or a boy (it doesn't matter), always be polite. Respect your elders as well as your peers. There will be times when your peers are cruel and mean. Simply walking away from their negativity and holding your head up high will make you the winner- even more so when it's hardest to do. People respect and help those who are composed, not the hotheads who yell, scream, and flail their arms around to get a point across. (The reality is, they really don't have a point to begin with.)

I love you Baby Campbell. You are already the biggest part of your father's and my lives. There is nothing the three of us can't do together. As a family, we can accomplish- and get through- anything. Nothing is impossible. The only thing I ask is that you love yourself as much as we love you.

Love always and forever,

Mom.


1 comment:

  1. I love it ! its awesome !!! you will be a great mom and Jim a great dad !!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete